PlatformIO Serial vs ESPToy v1.21

Comments, questions, suggestions on ESPToy

PlatformIO Serial vs ESPToy v1.21

Postby prb » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:35 pm

I have two ESPToys marked v1.21 on the back of the pcb. I'm done with LUA and wanted to use the Arduino firmware instead. I uploaded the stock v2 ESPToy demo program and it works as expected with one exception. The data sent out the serial line is garbled. It looks like a baud rate problem but I exhaustively tried every common baudrate up to 230400 with no luck. The "board" I chose was a generic "esp12e". I also tried esp07, esp01_1m, esp01 with no luck. I was pretty sure the 8266 version on an ESPToy v1.21 was a 12e but the lua firmware (node.info()) was saying only 512K of flash and the esp12e was listed as 4M.

Thinking something else was weird, I wrote a trivial "Hello World" and ran that, with all "board" choices. It didn't work either.

Thinking there was some issue between the CH341 serial interface on the ESPToy and the Raspberry PI 2 driver I'm using with platformIO I put the LUA firmware back on. Of course the serial line works just fine.

I also have an Adafruit huzzah breakout board. I've not had any troubles with the serial line with it.

I'm aware of makeESPArduino instead of PlatformIO but I haven't tried it yet.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing or is PlatformIO not that straight forward if the specific board support is not built in.

EDITED TO ADD:

Sorry, it was a very dumb mistake that has absolutely NOTHING to do with either PlatformIO or ESPToy v1.21. As far as I can tell PlatformIO is working just fine. All I have had to do to get the ESPToy v1.21 (which I'm fairly certain contains only 512K of flash) is to choose a board type of "esp12e" and set a build option of "build_flags = -Wl,-Tesp8266.flash.512k0.ld" in your platformio.ini file. I'm guessing, given the Makefile from Ray's v2 demo program, that later versions of the ESPToy have a larger flash memory. You'd need to adjust the "build_flags" as appropriate.

- paul
prb

Re: PlatformIO Serial vs ESPToy v1.21

Postby ray » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:17 pm

I think you are right: the earlier versions of ESPToy were built using ESP-07, which comes with 512KB flash. Recent ones all come with ESP-12, which has 4MB flash. It's important to choose the correct configuration. Keeping it 512KB should always work (though if you want to do OTA update you will need at least 1MB flash).
ray
Site Admin

Re: PlatformIO Serial vs ESPToy v1.21

Postby colegrey » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:54 am

ray wrote:I think you are right: the earlier versions of ESPToy were built using ESP-07, which comes with 512KB flash. Recent ones all come with ESP-12, which has 4MB flash. It's important to choose the correct configuration. Keeping it 512KB should always work (though if you want to do OTA update you will need at least 1MB flash).

1MB got it. Thanks Ray.
colegrey

Return to ESPToy -- An Arduino-based Gadget for ESP8266 WiFi module