OpenSprinkler Firmware Update
The OpenSprinkler firmware is regularly updated to include new features and functionality. You can update the firmware at any time by reflashing the microcontroller (MCU). The source code is completely open and free. You are welcome to modify it and share your contributions through GitHub.
- You need a regular size Male A to Male B USB cable (most printers use this type of cable).
- If you own OpenSprinkler v1.0 or 1.1: you need an external ISP programmer (FTDI cable no longer works due to the size of the new firmware). In addition, you need to run the following command to re-program the fuse bits:
avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p -B 250 -F -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U hfuse:w:0xd1:m -U efuse:w:0x06:m
Only do this if you own v1.0 or v1.1. Do not re-program the fuse bits on OpenSprinkler v1.2 and above, as they have built-in USB programmer and are already programmed with the correct fuse bits.
Upload a Precompiled Firmware
New: Firmware Updater 2.0 is now released. This version adds support for auto-detection of OpenSprinkler device and auto-downloading of the latest firmware. It only supports OpenSprinkler Hardware 2.0 or above.
- OpenSprinkler Firmware Updater 2.0 (for OpenSprinkler Hardware 2.x only)
(Updated Sep 10, 2014: version 2, added support for auto device detection and auto firmware download).
- Firmware Release Notes
- OpenSprinkler Firmware Updater 1.0 (for OpenSprinkler Hardware 1.x only)
Please run the ‘osFirmwareUpdater’ program in the folder that corresponds to your operating system.
Compile and Modify the Source Code
If you wish to modify the OpenSprinkler source code and customize the software, please follow the instructions below. The F.A.Q. page contains some basic information to get you started. The source code has been documented with comments. It is your responsibility to understand the code if you wish to make changes. We will try our best to answer your questions but cannot respond to all requests.
If you wish to install everything from scratch:
- For OpenSprinkler 1.x generation hardware, please follow instructions archived here: http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=6210
- For OpenSprinkler 2.x generation hardware, please follow instructions archived here: http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=6619